Astypalaia can deal with the following activities:
- Swimming: The island is full of moorages that hide many beautiful beaches.
- Diving: If you love diving, the rich underwater world of the island can offer you a fantastic experience.
- Fishing: It is considered an ideal destination for fishing, as a passage for a lot of fish.
- Excursions: Small boats and buses run daily excursions to the islands and remote beaches. The tour lasts several hours and the return is in the afternoon of the same day.
- Hiking: There are numerous engraved and marked trails – over the many free choices offered by the island itself – these will help you discover beautiful landscapes of Astypalaia, as well as ancient paths of mythology and history.
- Cycling: There are excellent trails for everyone, whether you’re a beginner or very advanced cyclist, where you can enjoy the scenery and the smells of the island province.
- Nightlife: The island has managed not to sacrifice the uncontrolled development of tourism becoming a destination ideal for relaxing and peaceful holiday. However, there are many options for your entertainment, while very often organized and musical evenings.
- Cultural Astypalaia Festival: Every summer the Astypalaia Cultural Festival is organised, which incorporates all creative arts, with an emphasis on Greek music. Also, throughout the year, the Cultural – Athletic Organization of the Municipality of Astypalaia organizes events with local groups and bands. These events include theatrical performances, book fairs, music and dancing evenings.
- Throughout the duration of the year, all over the island, various traditional festivals take place. During the summer the most important is that of the celebration of Virgin Mary Portaitissa, on August 15 every year. It is the biggest festival of the island, with traditional food, music, folk dancing and more. It lasts three days and during this time many events are organized.
For lovers of good food there are delicious traditional foods and dishes you can taste from various Greek recipes cooked n the “astypalian way.” Specifically, if you have no food allergies, it is worth trying: Dolmades, Stuffed courgette flowers, lobster, octopus, fresh fish on various species, Kitrinokouloura, Lampropites, Pougia (sort of pie filled with the local “kopanisti” cheese and honey) and Lambriano (goat stuffed with rice and pluck).
In terms of local sweets, if you have no food allergies, it is worth trying: Diples roses, Pougia with honey and Xerotigana. Finally, it is important to mention that the island produces amazing honey and goat’s cheese, which the visitor can find and buy in local shops.